The Farmhouse at Clover Hill
The Clover Hill property has been family owned for more than 130 years since Fred’s great-grandfather Andrew Jackson Miller purchased the farm in 1880. And of all the kin who lived, worked and played in the farmhouse, it is Fred’s great-uncle, Andrew’s son, Fred Miller who has the strongest ties to the Farmhouse.
Andrew and his wife, George-Ella had three children, Fred, Mildred and Mary. Andrew died in 1904 due to infection resulting from a broken leg. Fred was only 16 years old and was called back from school to tend the farm and assume his role as the family patriarch.
But Uncle Fred was much more than a farmer. He was charmingly eccentric and a world traveler. A lifelong bachelor, after his mother passed away and his sisters moved out, he lived alone in the Farmhouse. In early 1937, Uncle Fred was making some improvements to the house. The work began with stripping the old paint away using blowtorches. And for obvious combustible reasons, the original farmhouse burned to the ground.
Uncle Fred had it rebuilt a year later and this is the Farmhouse we see today. A few years later, however, Uncle Fred almost burned it down himself during an evening of carelessly tempting the flames in the fireplace.
His sister Mary lived in Warrensburg with her family, but Mildred, like her brother, never married. And in 1940, she retired from teaching and moved from Cleveland to live with him. She brought a new level of decorum to the bachelor pad when she began teaching etiquette classes at the Farmhouse. Mildred collected fine China and crystal, most of which is still used today for special family events.